National Farmers' Federation

Media Centre

Contact the NFF Media Team:

media@nff.org.au

(02) 6269 5617

Click here to subscribe to our media releases.

Found 2950 Results
Page 159 of 295

Government surrenders on defence land grab plans


More than two months of anguish is over for 65 Queensland farmers with the Federal Government today squashing plans to forcibly acquire their properties. Deputy Prime Minister Hon Barnaby Joyce MP ruled out the compulsory acquisition of farms in both the Charters Towers and Shoalwater Bay regions in a statement at Parliament House. The Department […]

8 February 2017


Historic Chinese cattle deal provides new selling option for farmers


The National Farmers Federation President Fiona Simson says a landmark shipment of live slaughter cattle to China represents a valuable new chapter in Australia’s cattle trade and a new selling option for farmers. A consignment of 1200 – mostly Angus cattle – left Portland in Victoria on Saturday as part of a new ‘feeder and […]


NFF calls for Cabinet to kill off defence land grab


The National Farmers Federation is calling on the Federal Cabinet to stifle the defence department’s plan to forcibly acquire farmland in northern and central Queensland for defence training purposes. The call comes after Deputy Prime Minister and Agriculture Minister Barnaby Joyce, could not go as far as ruling out forced acquisitions in a meeting with […]

3 February 2017


NFF supports independent review of nation’s water


National Farmers’ Federation has welcomed yesterday’s announcement by the Treasurer Scott Morrison of the Terms of Reference for the Productivity Commission’s 2017 Inquiry into the reform of Australia’s water resources sector. The Inquiry is to assess the progress by the Commonwealth, State and Territory governments in achieving the objectives and outcomes of the National Water […]

2 February 2017


#datadrought coalition comes out in force in support of maintaining landline services


The Regional, Rural and Remote Communications Coalition is concerned reliable home phone services in the bush may be soon put at risk under proposed changes to the Universal Service Obligation (USO). Members of the Coalition have today appeared at the Productivity Commission’s inquiry into the USO in Sydney. As part of the Inquiry, the Productivity […]

1 February 2017


NFF asks Minister Joyce to stand up for farmers


The National Farmers’ Federation (NFF) is disappointed Deputy Prime Minister and Agriculture and Water Minister Hon Barnaby Joyce won’t rule out the compulsory acquisition of farmland in northern and central Queensland for defence training purposes. Minister Joyce broke his silence on the issue yesterday saying he’ll travel to Marlborough to speak to only about half […]

31 January 2017


Response to Draft Report of its Inquiry into the Telecommunications Universal Service Obligation


The NFF firmly believes that connectivity represents the next frontier for agricultural productivity in Australia. Farmers need access to reliable, affordable and adequate data and voice services to grow their businesses and to remain innovative. Key to this is the Universal Service Obligation (USO) agreement that enables Australians, wherever they work and live, to have […]

Tags:

27 January 2017


Defence land grab ‘an absolute last resort’ says Minister


The National Farmers Federation says the Government’s commitment to only compulsory acquire farms as ‘an absolute last resort’ would provide some comfort to anxious north Queensland landholders whose properties had been ear-marked for acquisition.  In a letter sent to 60 landholders in November 2016 the Australian Defence Forces outlined intentions to potentially make acquisitions to […]

24 January 2017


Universal Service Obligation (USO)


The NFF firmly believes that connectivity represents the next frontier for agricultural productivity in Australia. Farmers need access to reliable, affordable and adequate data and voice services to grow their businesses and to remain innovative. Key to this is the Universal Service Obligation (USO) agreement that enables Australians, wherever they work and live, to have […]

Tags:


Farmer uncertainty continues as Minister refuses to rule out defence land grab


Uncertainty remains for 60 landholders in Queensland’s Charters Towers and Marlborough areas with the Government refusing to rule out the compulsory acquisition of up to 300,000 hectares of farm land for defence training purposes. Speaking after a meeting with Defence Minister Senator Marise Payne in Rockhampton today NFF Chief Executive Tony Mahar said the Minister […]

23 January 2017


Page 159 of 295

Filter Media

  • Media Type/s

  • Topic/s