The next wave of female leaders in agriculture have met in the nation’s capital to kickstart their journey with the Diversity in Agriculture Leadership Program.
The National Farmers’ Federation welcomed the 2023 cohort to Canberra for the initiative’s three-day introductory retreat.
The program, now in its sixth year, is designed to create a clear pathway for women to pursue leadership opportunities within the sector.
NFF President said across the three days, the 12 women heard from inspiring leaders and took part in practical personal and professional development sessions.
“The NFF is committed to diversity in all its forms. Levelling up the imbalances at board tables and at the executive level is important in leading agriculture forward,” Ms Simson said.
“The Diversity in Agriculture Leadership Program is the NFF’s flagship leadership initiative focused on the goal to double the number of women in agriculture’s leadership ranks.
“Again, we have a cohort of seriously talented women with a huge cross section of skills and experience. They’re all looking to be the next leaders in agriculture with some already taking on board roles and chief executive positions.”
An important part of the retreat was starting the mentoring program. The 12 mentees were matched with their mentor, accomplished male and female leaders, with whom they will complete a five-month intensive mentoring program.
“The retreat provides such an important opportunity for mentors and mentees to come together face to face and kick off their mentoring journey and begin mapping their leadership goals and aspirations.”
Sheep and cattle farmer from Gunning, NSW, and 2023 participant Lucy Knight reflected on her experience in the program so far.
“The Diversity in Ag Leadership retreat has already given me a lot of clarity about what I want the next stage of my career and contribution to agriculture to look like. The opportunity to evaluate my goals, values and better understand what gives me energy and purpose has been invaluable at this stage of my life,” Ms Knight said.
“I am looking forward to working with my mentor on these goals and identifying future opportunities throughout the remainder of the program.”
The group will now meet with their mentor regularly and come together as group regularly for online learning opportunities.
2023 Diversity in Agriculture Leadership cohort
To access photos, click here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/eNqXxPyqWuetnuSU9
About the program
- In it’s sixth year, the Diversity in Agriculture Leadership Program is an annual mentoring and networking opportunity for 12 women in agriculture.
- The Program is supported by 35 agricultural-focussed organisations who have joined the NFF in committing to making meaningful change towards gender diversity in agriculture.
- The program in the main initiative supporting the NFF’s goal to double the number of women in agriculture’s leadership ranks by 2030 as part of the NFF’s 2030 Roadmap.
- Participants will work with their industry leading mentor to develop and work towards their leadership goals over the next 5 months.
- The group will graduate at the NFF’s National Conference in October.